Loy Krathong Festival
Every year Loy Krathong falls on the night of the 12th lunar month. At the end of rainy season when the full moon lights up the sky. The sight of thousands of Krathongs. their flickering candles sending a thousand pinpoints of light far into the horizon is a truly magical sight.
This year Loy Krathong Festival will be held on Monday 11 November, 2019.
What is Loy Krathong?
- The history behind the festival is complex. Thai celebrate it for many reasons. As the main rice harvest season ends. It’s time to thank the Water Goddess for a year’s worth of her abudant supply as well as an apology for polluting the waters.
What is a Krathong?
- There is no equivalent word in English for “Krathong”. You may hear people referring to it as a small boat, vessel, receptacle or container. In the runup to the festival, many shops and market stalls will display ready-made krathongs or in parts so you can assemble and decorate as you wish.
Where can you float a Krathong in Bangkok?
- Hotels located along the river.
- Riverside Location such as Asiatique, Wat Saket, Phra Athit pier.
- Lakes ; Lumpini park at Silom, Benjasiri Park at Sukhumvit